Check contractor recommendations online
- Solar Energy Industries Association provides information on Wisconsin solar installers, contractors and retailers.
- RENEW Wisconsin, a renewable energy advocacy group, offers a map of Wisconsin solar installers to help find quality companies nearby.
- Focus on Energy's Find a Trade Ally tool lets you search for qualified contractors based on service and location.
- The Better Business Bureau lets you research companies to see if they are the subject of complaints filed with the BBB.
- HomeAdvisor.com lets you gather price quotes from service companies that work with HomeAdvisor.
Tips for hiring a contractor
- Hire only a WI state-licensed contractor with a valid license. Consider installers with North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) certification.
- Research current solar panel costs in Wisconsin.
- Get at least three bids or quotes.
- Get at least three references from each bidder and be sure to call or visit each reference.
- Confirm the contractor carries worker's compensation and liability insurance policies.
- Verify that the contractor understands Black River Falls Municipal Utilities's electrical distribution system interconnection requirements.
- Get all project expectations in writing including the solar system’s expected annual output.
- Ensure that the contractor obtains a local building permit.
- Make sure Black River Falls Municipal Utilities approves the solar PV system for interconnection to our electrical distribution system before you sign off on the project.