Not to rush things, but Summer will be here before you know it.
Did you know that energy costs more in the summer? It's true: because of increased air conditioning use, overall customer demand for electricity is at its highest in the summer months - and our cost to serve you is also highest in the summer. As a result, due to higher costs across the electric system, your bill is likely to increase during this time of year.
Here are some easy ways to save energy and lower your bill during the summer:
- Get a professional air conditioner tune-up. A well-working air conditioner can save 5-15% on cooling costs.
- Set your thermostat to at least 80 degrees when you are away.
- Install a smart programmable thermostat. Focus on Energy currently offers rebates on programmable thermostats. For more information, click here.
- Run your dishwasher only when it is fully loaded, and turn off the dry cycle and air dry your dishes instead.
- Close shades and blinds during the day to block some of the sun's warmth.
- Use Ceiling fans. The air movement in the room can make it feel 4 degrees warmer.
- Change to LED light bulbs. They use less energy and give off far less heat.
- Consider switching to our Time of Day plan. With our Time of Day rate plan, you'll pay a lower rate when you shift your energy use to nights and weekends. To learn more about our Time of Day rate, click here.